Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hari & Sukhmani opened by Arjun & Friends// Blue Frog// 15th of Nov, 2012

First Question, Have you heard Hari & Sukhmani??
If you have not, slap yourself, murga ban and watch this

                                                      The Music Project: Hari & Sukhmani

Hari & Sukhmani were opened by The Early Set by Arjun Kanungo & Friends.
Arjun Kanungo & Friends    (Photo Courtesy: Raonak Hathiramani)
I was pretty surprised to see Sanju Aguir and Abhishek Kamdar from Devoid on guitars with Arjun on vocals. I was sure its gonna be one hell of a show as they started covering  Mutemath, A Perfect Circle, Massive Attack and Karnivool.
I Loved their Karnivool cover of New Day, A Perfect Circle Cover of Outside and Massive Attack Cover of Teardrop. Although I Would have preferred Jose Gonsalez Version of Teardrop, would have sounded kickass with Arjun's voice and on acoustic by Sanju. Arjun has an amazing voice( It's not surprising that he sings with Asha Bhonsle in her band) and he has got a great sense of humour too. He kept the crowd in splits, with the jokes he was cracking on topics ranging from the overwhelming response he was getting which he dint really expect and Kamdar & his out of tune guitar was the epicentre of rest of the jokes. Overall, it was a really fun set.
You should really check out Arjun Kanungo's music on http://www.arjunkanungo.com/


Now, I couldn't wait for Hari & Sukhmani, the Chandigarh Duo, the epic electro-folk act. And this is what I got..

Hari & Sukhmani
1. Hari stopped singing mid-sentance in the first song itself and I could still hear his voice. No it wasn't delay or reverb. No, I wasn't high. Read on.

2. The clarity of their sound when they were singing was awesome, and as soon as the song finished & they started interacting with audience, their volume was low, Sukhmani's vocals were muffled which was clear as shit seconds back.

3. The song started with a sarangi intro,  the Sarangi player woke up with a jerk to play, but it was too late. I had already heard the sarangi verse which I dint see him playing.

4. I could hardly hear the acoustic guitar.

If, If this is not what I thought- LIP SYNC IN A LIVE GIG, then there was shit loads of pre-recorded stuff which wasn't appealing to a Live music lover. I hope am mistaken because I love the music they have recreated out of old Punjabi folk songs. I love their studio tracks Madaniya and Challa.


But Bombay is used to likes of Shaair'n'Func, this isn't what I expected from HARI & SUKHMANI.

No comments:

Post a Comment